John Key is not going to be able to use the “New Zealanders flee to Australia in record numbers” line for much longer as a criticism of the New Zealand economy, and by inference using it to attack Labour. The economic outlook for the Aussies is as bad there as it is here.
- real estate sales in Melbourne are at an 18 month low
- job ads fell by 5.9% – the first time since January 2005
- interest rates are on the rise
- a Roy Morgan Consumer Confidence Rating survey showed intention to buy was at its lowest in seven years
- less than a third of Australians expect good financial times in the next 12 months
- the unemployment rate is up
Does this sound like a place you might want to move to? Does it sound like everything that John Key says is wrong with New Zealand?